Saturday, August 28, 2010

iPouch

For my birthday my adorable sister bought me a beautiful new iPod to replace my poor beloved mini, which I bought in 2003 with my babysitting moneys. After 7 years of use and two battery replacements it was giving out. RIP blue iPod mini with my name engraved on the back. You were loved.

The new iPod would have done wonders to increase my classiness except I was carrying it around in a sport sock for about a month, not knowing what kind of case I wanted and not knowing how to go about checking what sort of cases were available. It's so awesome when you're sitting on the bus and people are watching in wonder as you plug your headphones into a pink sock.


But THEN we got these super-supple leather cuts in the store and I knew what to do.


I simply put the sheets wrong sides together and stitched along the edges. I had never sewn with leather before; it's stretchy and wouldn't stay in place. And in addition the leather was too hard to stick pins through (i actually bent a regular straightpin at a 90-degree angle trying to pierce the leather). So i had to get creative by sliding both sheets of leather between hair bobby pins to keep it in place while I sewed.

I handstitched the ends to reinforce them and now they're more secure than a research facility guarded by angry vicious dogs.


The leather, as soft as it was when I bought it, actually became softer and more supple as I played around and sewed with it, and of course it smells so good! Success.


And I'll leave you with a beautiful song I can now happily listen to on the bus without my unconventional case attracting strange stares.

5 comments:

corinnea said...

Very cool! I love it!

Did you use the leather needle on your machine? That makes it a bit easier. You did the right thing by not pinning the leather. The bobby pins were clever!

pearlswirl said...

Corinnea, we were out of leather machine needles so I used 'jeans' needles, which the ladies told me would be fine and i think it was! Thanks! I love it!

Kelly's Korner said...

I like it Jenny! Especially your descriptive way of telling the story! My favorite part was the heavily guarded research facility! :)

Jennifer said...

We carry leather pieces now?? cool! I love this! Good idea with the bobby pins!

lizy said...

clever girl. Very cool :) I might have to make me one....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...